1. Distances: Bento Gonçalves is in the extreme south of Brazil, distant about 1500 km from Rio de Janeiro, 1000 km from Sao Paulo and 2000 km from Brasilia. However, it is only 120 km (2h in ground transportation) far from Porto Alegre, where the closest international airport is located. Vacaria is 150 km far from Bento Gonçalves (3h 30min by bus).
2. Airports: The largest airport near Bento Gonçalves is Salgado Filho International Airport in Porto Alegre, which receives direct international flights from Portugal (TAP); Panama (Copa Airlines); Peru (Avianca); and Argentina, Chile and Uruguay (Aerolíneas Argentinas). For other countries and airlines, will be necessary do a pit stop in another Brazilian airport (for example, Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro).
Flight time between Porto Alegre and other majors airports that receive international flights: Sao Paulo: 1h 30min; Rio de Janeiro: 2h; Brasilia: 2h 30min.
3. Transfer: Embrapa will provide transfer at arrival and departure between the airport of Porto Alegre and Bento Gonçalves for the workshop participants, previous contact and appointment to create groups. The study tour to Vacaria will be chartered by the event.
4. Weather: The weather in September in Bento Gonçalves is humid, with periods of rain and fog interspersed with sunshine. Average temperature will be at 20 °C (minimum 15 °C and maximum at 25 °C). In Vacaria the climate is stable, drier and daytime temperature in the range of 18-22 °C.
5. Prices/Currency: The currency of Brazilian Real (BRL) is variable day by day. We expect a range of 3.00 to 3.30 BRL for 1.00 USD. The average price of food per meal in Bento Gonçalves, counting a non-alcoholic drink, is about 6.00 to 10.00 USD. At wine tasting venues the prices can range from 15 to 30 USD, with only drink or drink and meal. Bento Gonçalves is known as the center of the wine region of Brazil, being very reputed the sparkling wines produced here.
Credit cards are acceptable (most common are Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Dinners). For those who prefer to use cash money, do the change at the airport (suggested amount for 3 days USD 300.00).